Patron Responsibilities & Conduct
Rules of Conduct
The Wamego Public Library’s rules of conduct are intended to (1) protect the rights and safety of library users, (2) protect the rights and safety of staff members, and (3) preserve and protect the library’s materials, facilities and property. Procedures for handling disruptive behavior and other prohibited conduct have been established, including calling local law enforcement when necessary. Repeat or severe offenders may be removed from the library for a specified period of time and/or have their library privileges suspended. Anyone wishing to appeal their exclusion may submit an appeal in writing to the Library Director. Please enjoy the library and respect its use by others. Conduct considered improper by the library includes, but is not limited to:
Illegal Activities, including but not limited to:
- Committing or attempting to commit any activity that constitutes a violation of any federal, state or local statute or ordinance.
- Using, possessing, or being under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances on library premises.
- Smoking or other use of tobacco inside the library building.
Harmful, Disruptive, or Destructive behavior, including but not limited to:
- Failing to comply with a reasonable staff request.
- Creating public disturbances, including loud or boisterous behavior or talking.
- Verbally threatening or harassing other patrons or staff, including yelling, name-calling and profanity.
- Physically threatening other patrons or staff.
- Using library materials, equipment, furniture, fixtures or building in a destructive, abusive or potentially damaging manner.
- Petitioning or solicitation of any kind
Other inappropriate behavior:
- Violating the library’s Computer Use Policies, including using obscene or pornographic Internet sites.
- Sleeping in library premises.
- Use of any personal electronic equipment, including cellular phones, radios, CD players, etc., at a volume that disturbs others.
- Entering library buildings with bare feet or bare chest.
- Disturbing others because of offensive body odor.