Unattended Child Policy
In order to prevent undue disruption of normal library activities, to provide for the general welfare all persons using the library, and to provide for the general safety of children using the Wamego Public Library, the following policies are adopted:
- All children 7 years and younger shall, at all times, be attended and adequately supervised by an individual 13 years of age or older who is responsible for the care of the children.
- Children 8 years and older may use the library unattended, subject to the rules and regulations of the Wamego Public Library.
- At staff discretion, the school will be notified of the presence of unattended children in the library during school hours.
- The Wamego Public Library assumes no responsibility for children left unattended on library premises.
- The library reserves the right to ask children to leave the building if they behave inappropriately and are unresponsive to staff.
- If any child is left at the library at closing time, the library staff will attempt to reach the parent/guardian. If the parent/guardian cannot be reached, law enforcement officials will be notified.
We want to encourage children to use the library and use it often, but we are concerned about the safety and welfare of children left unattended in a public place. Our staffing is limited, and we are unable to supervise the activity and whereabouts of every child